The time has finally come. The end of 2020 will shortly be upon us.
And while the current province-wide lockdown measures will surely make ringing in the new year feel different this year, here’s what you need to know as you navigate the city on New Year’s Day.
New Year’s Day means most businesses, services, and attractions will be closed across the city. Here’s a list of what’s open and closed in Toronto on Friday, January 1.
- Banks, government offices, and Canada Post offices are closed on New Year’s Day.
- TTC service starts at 8 am and the system will operate on a Sunday service schedule.
- GO Transit will also be running on a Sunday schedule.
- Toronto Island ferry is running on its Sunday schedule but, keep in mind, service is operating at half capacity due to COVID-19.
- All LCBO and Beer Store locations will be closed on January 1.
- Due to the province-wide lockdown, all restaurants are closed for dining, but some may be open for take-out and delivery on January 1. It’s best to check ahead before ordering.
While most stores are currently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some stores in the malls which provide essential services and items will be open.
- Eaton Centre: Open from 11 am to 6 pm
- Yorkdale Shopping Centre: Closed
- Fairview Park Mall: Closed
- Sherway Gardens: Closed
- Scarborough Town Centre: Closed
All public attractions in Toronto are currently closed due to COVID-19. However, some outdoor skating rinks are open. According to the City, all Recreation and Community Centres will be closed to the public on January 1, with the exception of Wallace Emerson Community Centre, Phil White Arena, Broadlands Community Centre, Pleasantview Community Centre, Irving W. Chapley Community Centre, and Powerhouse Recreation Centre, which will be open for washroom access to support public skating.
According to the City, all outdoor skating rinks are open during the winter holidays, with modified schedules. Nathan Phillips Square Rink is open every day from 10 am to 10 pm.
Most grocery stores will be closed on New Year’s Day but some local stores may be open. Call your local store before heading out.